April 21, 2017
Just a decade ago, influencer marketing wasn’t a concrete strategy that brands were employing because it didn’t really exist. Sure, there were bloggers and various YouTube channels dedicated to fashion, reviews and trends but the brands were still setting the rules and telling consumers what they should be purchasing. Oh, how times have changed!
In a modern world full of competing viewpoints and general information overload, consumers want to know that they are making well-informed decisions when it comes to the brands that they support. The much-discussed millennial generation is comprised of over 75 million Americans. There is endless chatter about how to engage these millennial consumers. While it is known that they want to spend money on experiences and brands that aim to do good, how come so many large brands find it so difficult to connect with these coveted consumers?
Influencer marketing has become a great tool for brands to access because it allows them to reach a targeted audience in a more authentic way. A millennial might not trust a large clothing brand, but if their favorite blogger is touting the clothing and the company’s ethics, that millennial could very well turn into a loyal follower and consumer. Here are just four reasons why you should make influencer marketing a part of your overall marketing strategy:
- Consumers Want Trusted Brands Only – In 2015, the percentage of brands people trusted in North America was only 22%. That’s quite low when you consider the fact that every brand wants to be considered reputable and attract loyal consumers. The term “influencer” is bestowed upon individuals who have built trust in order to grow a targeted and loyal following. If a brand works with an influencer and that influencer gives an honest review of a product, it builds trust for the brand. A consumer will feel comfortable making a purchase because a blogger they admire and respect has touted the benefits of the brand.
- Authenticity is Valued – According to Forbes, “43% of millennials rank authenticity over content when consuming news.” Consumers are savvier than ever and want to make sure they support genuine brands who champion causes and are honest and clear with their values. The easiest way to convey this authenticity is to work with influencers who respect the brand and vertical. They often have a targeted group of followers who engage with them for their honesty. The key here is to work with influencers who understand your brand and who are authentic with their reviews and opinions. Fortune 500 brands can often appear “faceless.” Because they are so large, they can’t connect with consumers the way an influencer can. Influencers aren’t on the corporate payroll and have more freedom to express themselves in a “real” way. There are no canned statements and PR departments when you’re a blogger telling people about the brands and products you genuinely like.
- Know Your Audience to Make Meaningful Connections – Plain and simple, make sure you understand the audience you’re trying to connect with before you consider influencer marketing. A fashion blogger won’t build meaningful relationships with your target audience if your brand sells car accessories. Know how your intended audience thinks and understand their unique demographics.
- Take A Targeted Approach – Now that you know how influencer marketing can help your brand connect with targeted consumers in a genuine way, how do you get started? REACH is Schaaf-PartnerCentric’s service offering that focuses on engaging influencers. We act as an extension of your team and partner with the best and most relevant influencers for your brand. With our years of knowledge and expertise in the industry, we have established many meaningful relationships with influencers and understand their unique audiences. Based on campaign objectives, we then report on chosen metrics.
The ideal REACH clients are brands that are looking to begin or expand their influencer marketing efforts, regardless of whether or not they have an existing affiliate program. If you’re ready to see what influencer marketing can do for your brand or just want to learn more about REACH, contact us.
Latest posts by Alisa Crowley (see all)
- 4 Reasons Why you Should Invest Dollars in Influencer Marketing - April 21, 2017
- Why Should I Work with an Affiliate Marketing Agency? - April 12, 2017